Monday 2 May 2011

Sunday Stroll to Silverwood

Went for a change this Sunday. Instead of going to the Peak District, I stuck close to home and went to my local nature reserve instead. The plan was to find the pond that has been created on the site of what used to be Silverwood Colliery, however that didn't go to plan. The pond proved to be more difficult to find than I had anticipated, however I still had a good time on what was a lovely day in the countryside on my doorstep.

The route I took
The colliery was a lot bigger than I thought, and when I came out of the woodland ride there were considerable acres of newly-planted trees in front of me. Looking at this map, it's unreal to see how close I was to the pond. I was really keen to go there as pictures of it look lovely; however I still had a lovely walk around the area.

The following three pictures were all taken from the start of the countryside; commonly known as the Rusty Bump for reasons unknown. You can see how lovely the countryside is, and all this is quite literally on my doorstep!

Top of the Rusty Bump

Trees leading into Listerdale Woods

Farmland towards Dalton Magna
Setting off down the Rusty Bump, I get onto a path at the bottom of a field. Looking up you can see the houses in the village of Dalton Parva. Bet they get lovely views!

Dalton Parva. Look at that lovely blue sky!
Walking along this footpath brings me out onto Far Dalton Lane, a meandering country lane that leads, I believe, up to to Dalton Magna and Woodlaithes. I cross this and wander up Mousehole Lane, what a delightful name. There is a gorgeous clear stream trickling by here, and with some investigation I discovered.....
Little fishes! Possibly sticklebacks?
Sorry about the quality of the photo, with the wind blowing the water and the fishes darting everywhere they were quite hard to photograph!

This is the stream in all it's glory....Nothing amazing but quite picturesque I think.

Wooden bridge makes a nice little resting point



I then walked through another field, no crops this time, I think this one is left entirely to the wildlife. Past this field the trees start to crowd in, becoming first a wooded path then a small wood, including a fair amount of bluebells.

Looking across the stream to the bluebell woods
A pond on the woodland ride
Bridge across some quite boggy ground!
Trees on a slope
Not very good with plant ID, but thought it was pretty nonetheless
For such a delightful Sunday morning, there were only a small handful of people I saw enjoying this hidden gem. I only wish I had the pleasure of a dog to walk and enjoy this with. I do miss my dog Poppy:

Poppy enjoying her annual holiday
Onwards through Silverwood brings you to the newly planted trees. Not sure exactly how long these have been growing, but I believe they were planted some time around when Woodlaithes Village was created.
Trees of the future
Fenced off for protection, however it seems the local Yoofs have already started taking the fences to pieces
Some gorse, I do believe?
I then went back around and into the woods to eat my packed lunch. On the way I startled a pheasant; not sure who was more surprised, me or him!

These bluebells made my lunch all the more special
Close up of some bluebells
Heading back up the Rusty Bump, I found this little fellow on an oak tree.

Caterpillar
All in all a great walk, willing to do it again sometime soon and I will find that pond next time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi im new to this. You were very close to silverwood nature reserve, i went there not too long back and it was an amazing walk with plenty of wildlife to look at.... As for the rusty bump i remember when i was younger i used to go for walks to it with my family and we all used to call it the rusty bump because nothing grew on it, it was all bare dry ground that was a rusty colour and full of bumps hence the name. My main memory of the rusty bump was when me and my cousin decided ro ride down it on our bmx's but mine didnt have any brakes and had buckled wheels.... I went down first but came off my bike half way down and skidded to the bottom on my side. When i stopped at the bottom there was blood pouring from waist and there was nothing left of the bike. ive never been there since and its only about a 30 min walk... Ah memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there only just got your comment, sorry :) Wow you were very brave riding down that hill on a bike; I can barely walk down it at the best of times! Did you manage to find the pond then? As soon as I came out into the plantation I completely lost my bearings :-S

    ReplyDelete