Sunday 8 January 2012

The Loxley Valley

Yesterday I decided to go for a walk in Loxley. I've heard that the area is good for wildlife, so packed my binoculars and camera and set off from my house at 9am. I caught the train to Sheffield and the tram to Malin Bridge, and started my walk from here.

River Loxley
I walked along the River Loxley, keeping my eyes and ears peeled for birds. There were plenty about, unfortunately no kingfishers that I saw, but a flock of long-tailed tits kept me amused for a good few minutes as they didn't seem at all bothered by my presence. Behind the tits were a couple of squirrels; unfortunately too far away for my camera to capture but still good to stand and watch.




Beyond this weir I spotted a heron flying away. These majestic birds are amongst my favourites. Walking on I came to the Mill Dam where I stopped to have a rest and enjoy the nature around me:


There were quite a lot of derelict buildings next to the footpaths, although the beauty of the area wasn't affected too much by them. Below is a photo of one of the more attractive buildings; most of the others seemed to be the remnants of an industrial site.



After a couple of hours walking I left the houses behind and emerged onto access land. Climbing up through the wood I disturbed a kestrel that had been perched high in a tree. Joining the road again I discovered I was in the village of Dungworth:


After a few more minutes rest and admiring the view, I decided to head back the way I had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment